CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Nice Kitchen Recipes: Loaded Potato Soup

SO! Since our return from Washington last week, Kevin and I have been on a quest to be healthier. We both have been wanting to really start getting healthier, and during the holidays just wasn't in the cards for us. I am actually really happy at the great changes we have made already! I am so in love with cooking, always have, always will, but because of that I love trying new recipes and yummy desserts. Now I have switched to making low cal/ low fat things to fit in with our new lifestyle!

I jumped on the bandwagon and joined MyFitnessPal after I got my iPhone! If you don't know what it is, its an app that is basically this great forum for tracking the calories that you are eating while also getting some great support from friends!! I've only been really tracking for about a week now, so if your already on or joining soon then friend me!! My username is jnice618.

Anyway, back to the main reason for this post. Last night I made the most amazing soup!! Now, I am actually not a huge soup person. It just doesn't really do anything for me, but this recipe looked yummy, and seemed to fit in with a Sunday football game day. So here is the recipe!

The recipe is from skinnytaste.com (which is such a great website I have used for a while for all sorts of recipes!) You can find the recipe here.

I made a few changes to the recipe, and it turned out great!

Baked Potato Soup



2 russet potatoes, washed and dried
1 small cauliflower head, cut into florets
1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
1 1/2 cups skim milk
salt and fresh cracked pepper
1/2 cup light sour cream
10 tablespoons reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I used a mexican blend that I already had)
6 tablespoons chopped chives (I used green onions, plus I used extra for on top)
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used turkey bacon and it was really yummy!)

**Pierce the potatoes with a fork, and cook in the microwave until tender. You can also cook them in the oven if you prefer. Peel.

**Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower in a large pot with water. Steam until tender. Drain and return to the pot. Add the potato, chicken broth, and milk and bring to a boil. Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth (OR you can just transfer to a food processor like I did and do the same thing, then return to the pot.)

**Add sour cream, chives or green onions, salt and pepper and cook on low for 5-10 minutes.

**Remove from heat. Place 1 cup in bowl and top with cheese, bacon and green onions.

**Enjoy!!

This recipe serves 5, and has only 207 calories per 1 cup or serving! It was soo yummy!! And even if you think that you won't like the cauliflower, you really don't even taste it! It really does taste like a potato soup. I also served the serving with a light Cesar salad mix. So it was a soup and salad meal and Kevin and I were both really satisfied.

I really enjoy cooking and baking and even thought once about starting a blog purely devoted to this aspect of my life, but I think that sharing every now and then these really yummy recipes that I have made it perfect!!

Enjoy the rest of this three day weekend!!

Jackie Nice

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I picked up all the ingredients but I forgot cauliflower! Is it really vital?? (I suppose I could always go back to the store later...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya the cauliflower is somewhat of a base for the soup! It helps with the body of the soup, but if you didn't want to go back to the store you could just use a couple more potatoes! It just would be some more calories, because the cauliflower is almost free calories!!! Glad you liked it:) Love the feedback!

    ReplyDelete